Friday, October 14, 2011

A very Harry Potter birthday

Matilda as Harry
My youngest just turned 3 and has been wanting a Harry Potter party for the last 6 months. Well, she got it. We had a blast putting this together and I think it was a hit. (I plan on fixing the order of the pictures, add pics of our invites and favors, and add more text...bear with me).

This is Matilda talking in Harry's voice reciting spells. Actual spells.












I made the wands for all of the kids to take home. I took a 48 inch wooden dowel and cut it into 1/4's. Then I sanded the tip into a rounded point, added wooden beads and some hot glue, then spray painted. They were a HUGE hit, but I should've given them to the kids AFTER the party as favors.


 I made that Sorting Hat out of a paper bag and staples. Awesome.
 Just some of the food: Sirius Black's dog chow (chex muddy buddies), Hedwig's chocolate lollipops in an owl nest, and the Rice Krispy Snitch.
 Notice Mad Eyes' chocolate eyes in the background:)

 THE Snitch. Made from Rice Krispy treats, dyed yellow, and melted chocolate for the wings. A hit!
 Luna's glasses that I made. Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans, and Moaning Myrtle's milk chocolate (Hersheys bites) served in a toilet cup.


Matilda REALLY wanted a Scabbers cake, which is her pet name.

Harry digs red heads:)

 THE coolest candle from Party City. It is a sparkler in the shape of a 3.

 After Harry took Scabbers off, Hermoine inspects the cake.
 Some of the decorations, letters for Harry hanging from the ceiling, a Diagon Alley sign that I made, along with wanted posters.
 Broomstick parking with a Nimbus 1800.
Hedwig in his cage with a letter for H. Potter, in the cupboard under the stairs.
 Ministry of Magic entrance.



5 comments:

Elizabeth Douglas said...

What a gorgeous HP birthday! What a lucky little girl to have such a crafty mom! I bet she had a fantastic time. You can see the joy on her face. :) I'll probably be borrowing a few of your treats and ideas for an upcoming Halloween party! GREAT JOB!


I have a few HP posts as well:
http://lhiiiz.blogspot.com/2010/12/very-potter-christmas.html

http://lhiiiz.blogspot.com/2010/11/hogwarts.html

Cheers!
~Liz

Caroline said...

I CANNOT get over how much I adore this party. You are just fantastically creative. I fully plan on copying these ideas in the future!

http://thetimmyboytimes.blogspot.com

Amy said...

SUPER cute party!! Looks like it was a lot of work!

Great job!

rubydorcas said...

Melissa -- I thought this was stuff you pinned for inspiration. But this is Matilda's actual party. You did such a great job!!! We really do need to start that event planning business together. :)

I cannot believe how big C & M are! I miss talking to you everyday <3 <3

Tiffany said...

I am doing a Harry Potter party the first weekend of December for my daughter's fifth birthday. She chose it last year after her birthday party, thankfully I've had lots of time to prepare. I am so glad to see that your daughter also dressed as Harry because some family members were giving us a hard time for that choice.