Monday, September 13, 2010

Stashbusting book and coffee filter wreath

I was inspired by According to Kelly and her $2 Book Wreath. I knew that it had to be my next craft. Plus I am trying very hard to use what I have on hand (and more than not, failing). So I took an old book I had on hand, just your standard paperback. I cut a circle out of a cereal box and got started!

Here is what the finished product looks like!

Here is what I used:

an old paperback book
coffee filters
scrap paper
glitter
stapler
glue
hot glue gun
scissors (regular and scalloped)
Cardboard or a paper plate
Ribbon

First step was to start making cones out of the paper, which I then stapled.
Put together 3 at a time, 2 in the back and one on top. At this point you can start gluing them to you plate or cardboard circle.
Once finished it will look something like this:
Here is the back view:
And showing you the base.

At this point you will want to fill in any bare spots that you have.
Then take your coffee filters, 2 at a time and fold in half and then half again (into a quarter). Repeat this three more times until you can make a circle. Glue together.
Now for the center. I accordioned 2 book pages and stapled them together then fanned them out to make a circle and glued together.
For a nice touch ala Lark and Lola, place a thin bead of glue in the creases and add glitter.
Then I trimmed two more filters to a smaller circle and glued then on top of my existing coffee filter circle.
Glue the coffee filter "flower" and its accordion center to the wreath, it is that simple!

I did use scrapbook paper for the center of my flower and stamped it with an "M", and then added 2 scrapbook paper leaves. Which turned out like this:
Oh, and I stapled some ribbon to the back for hanging. You can also use a real plate in place of the paper one and add a plate hanger for something more sturdy.

Have fun crafting!

Oh, and this is linked up to the following parties:
Cottage Instincts- Make it for Monday's
Between Naps On The Porch- Matamorphisis Monday

12 comments:

Domestic Diva said...

Nifty idea - thanks for sharing...

Anonymous said...

This is cute!

Jenny at Henrietta's House said...

Love this! I'm going to try it.

Linda Q said...

Love this, I have to get to trying this sometime. Looks fun!
Linda

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Lovin it...thanks so much for the info on how to make our own!!! Coming by from CI.


Blessings,
Linda

michelle said...

That turned out so pretty, I love it!! Partying with you at Cottage Instincts!!!

Little Green Table said...

OMG! THAT is the coolest thing I've seen yet!

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Love this! I've made a book wreath and I've made a coffee filter wreath but the two together?! Perfect combo! Thanks for linking up to my Open House!

Unknown said...

I Love this. I have used the coffee filters before, but haven't tackled the book wreath! So cute.

Jess said...

Very cute! I may have to try that one.

Lorajean said...

Love this!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://bargain-coffee-makers.com/deals/Cuisinart+Coffee+Maker/]Cuisinart Coffee Maker[/url], [url=http://bargain-coffee-makers.com/shop/Hamilton+Beach+Coffee+Maker/]Hamilton Beach Coffee Maker[/url]. Delonghi EC702, Cuisinart DCC-1150, Delonghi EN670B, Delonghi EN680M, [url=http://bargain-coffee-makers.com/shop/Hamilton+Beach+Coffee+Maker/]Hamilton Beach Coffee Maker[/url], Jura Capresso MT600, Hamilton Beach BrewStation, Delonghi ESAM6600