Monday, September 13, 2010

Stashbusting book and coffee filter wreath

I was inspired by According to Kelly and her $2 Book Wreath. I knew that it had to be my next craft. Plus I am trying very hard to use what I have on hand (and more than not, failing). So I took an old book I had on hand, just your standard paperback. I cut a circle out of a cereal box and got started!

Here is what the finished product looks like!

Here is what I used:

an old paperback book
coffee filters
scrap paper
glitter
stapler
glue
hot glue gun
scissors (regular and scalloped)
Cardboard or a paper plate
Ribbon

First step was to start making cones out of the paper, which I then stapled.
Put together 3 at a time, 2 in the back and one on top. At this point you can start gluing them to you plate or cardboard circle.
Once finished it will look something like this:
Here is the back view:
And showing you the base.

At this point you will want to fill in any bare spots that you have.
Then take your coffee filters, 2 at a time and fold in half and then half again (into a quarter). Repeat this three more times until you can make a circle. Glue together.
Now for the center. I accordioned 2 book pages and stapled them together then fanned them out to make a circle and glued together.
For a nice touch ala Lark and Lola, place a thin bead of glue in the creases and add glitter.
Then I trimmed two more filters to a smaller circle and glued then on top of my existing coffee filter circle.
Glue the coffee filter "flower" and its accordion center to the wreath, it is that simple!

I did use scrapbook paper for the center of my flower and stamped it with an "M", and then added 2 scrapbook paper leaves. Which turned out like this:
Oh, and I stapled some ribbon to the back for hanging. You can also use a real plate in place of the paper one and add a plate hanger for something more sturdy.

Have fun crafting!

Oh, and this is linked up to the following parties:
Cottage Instincts- Make it for Monday's
Between Naps On The Porch- Matamorphisis Monday

12 comments:

Tammy said...

Nifty idea - thanks for sharing...

Brandy said...

This is cute!

Jenny at Henrietta's House said...

Love this! I'm going to try it.

Linda Q said...

Love this, I have to get to trying this sometime. Looks fun!
Linda

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Lovin it...thanks so much for the info on how to make our own!!! Coming by from CI.


Blessings,
Linda

michelle said...

That turned out so pretty, I love it!! Partying with you at Cottage Instincts!!!

Dennise said...

OMG! THAT is the coolest thing I've seen yet!

The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Love this! I've made a book wreath and I've made a coffee filter wreath but the two together?! Perfect combo! Thanks for linking up to my Open House!

Courtney said...

I Love this. I have used the coffee filters before, but haven't tackled the book wreath! So cute.

Jess said...

Very cute! I may have to try that one.

Lorajean said...

Love this!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://bargain-coffee-makers.com/deals/Cuisinart+Coffee+Maker/]Cuisinart Coffee Maker[/url], [url=http://bargain-coffee-makers.com/shop/Hamilton+Beach+Coffee+Maker/]Hamilton Beach Coffee Maker[/url]. Delonghi EC702, Cuisinart DCC-1150, Delonghi EN670B, Delonghi EN680M, [url=http://bargain-coffee-makers.com/shop/Hamilton+Beach+Coffee+Maker/]Hamilton Beach Coffee Maker[/url], Jura Capresso MT600, Hamilton Beach BrewStation, Delonghi ESAM6600