Friday, November 5, 2010

Tree initial wall art- Tutorial!

I really don't know what to call it so I will let you decide:). It is a tree with mine and my husbands initials on it, so it is an initial tree, right? haha. Anyway, I had a wall in the new bathroom that needed filling and since I have a collection of embroidery hoops I decided on this.

Supply list:
embroidery hoop- I used a 12 inch one
muslin or another thick cotton fabric
acrylic paint for the tree
Fine tip paint brush
Embroidery floss
Embriodery needle
Hot glue gun

Optional

Grosgrain ribbon for flowers (or fabric for leaves if you prefer)
Needle and thread for grosgrain flowers
Ribbon for hanging
Paint for embroidery hoop


First you start with some muslin or other thick cotton fabric and an embroidery hoop. You can paint the embroidery hoop at this time or leave it until last (to decide how you like it once complete) like I did.

Then using a disappearing ink marker I sketched out my tree, heart, and initials. To make the bark in the tree I took my marker and rolled it in my fingertips while drawing a line down. It worked great, so try practicing that "technique" on some scrap paper!











For the heart I used a basic running stitch using red embroidery floss.

For the initials I used a split stitch so that it looked a bit more polished.

Both stitches are really easy.
Below are examples of each stitch for you!
   Running Stitch

Split stitch

Here is the end result of my hard labor:).



Now it is time to begin painting your tree. I have an assortment of acrylic paints, the $1 paints at craft stores. I would have preferred brown for the tree but the room it is going in is blue and black so I needed a darker shade. I settled for a brown/ blue/ gray/ green that I mixed. Using a fine tip paint brush I traced my outline, adding few additional touches here and there:).

Deciding that it needed a bit more I thought I would add some fabric leaves or some embroidered hearts throughout. I ended up making some ribbon flowers that I am still not committed to, but I do love them!
Take 4 inches of grosgrain ribbon and burn the ends to prevent from fraying.














Tie a knot at the end of your threaded needle and sew a running stitch at the bottom of the ribbon.

Pull that stitch tight to create a flower or yo-yo.
Notice the Emergen-C in the back. Yeah, I am sick. Awesomeness.
Here I go through the loop at the beginning knot and double knot my thread to secure.













The result...if I were brave enough to commit to these flowers! haha!

***Now is the time to paint your frame if you decide to or haven't painted it already!***

Notice the pins in the back? Yep, that is me trying decide on the flowers!














Pull your fabric tight and tighten your hoop screw.





Cut the excess fabric as you would trim a pie.

Then hot glue the fabric over onto the hoop as shown.

At this point, if wanting a more polished look or if giving this as a gift, add ribbon to the inside for a nice touch.
Finally, loop a ribbon through to hang and admire your work!
PS, you will see that I was noncommittal with the flowers. What do you think? With or without?






















 Oh, and a great part to the day? Seeing this in the mail!
How cute is she???
Do you follow Enjoying The Small Things and Kelle Hampton? You have to! She is an amazing mother and photographer with an even more amazing story. I love her and don't even know her, although I picture myself as her bestie at times.

Anyway, I donated what I could to the walk that she participated in for Nella (her daughter born with Down's Syndrome) and I got this super sweet thank you letter from the Hampton's. Oh, and Nella thinks I am a rockstar which earns her a place on my fridge:)!

Linked to the following parties:
 UndertheTableandDreamingPhotobucket

















Punkin Seed Productions

 calm+breeze+banner+friday.jpg

9 comments:

rubydorcas said...

Um...no. Even with your tutorial mine would look like a drunk Michael J Fox did it. But I love it!

Jen @ EmbellishingLifeEveryday said...

What a sweet project! Thanks for following...I'm following you back!

Kathleen said...

Love, love , live this adorable project. Guess I'll have to get busy on one for myself. Thanks for the inspiration!

Anna @ Take the Side Street said...

Very cute! I do like the flowers, but I think I like the visual pop of the red initials all by themselves a bit more. I also like that you've included stitching photos for losers like myself that just grab a needle and start jabbing randomly.

Oh, and I followed! Thanks for following me :)

mel@livvyloowho said...

Thanks Anna for the advice. It is flowerless right now and I like it:)!

Colleen said...

Very pretty, something about the beauty in the simplicity of this that I'm draw to. Thx for sharing. Lovin' what I see, I'm a new follower :)

cleverlyinspired said...

Sharing on FB ...love

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Mel - This is adorable! I featured this on the Sunday Showcase Round Up. Thanks so much for joining in the fun! Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you are enjoying your week ~ Stephanie Lynn

Kitty Deschanel said...

This is so, soo cute! I'd love for you to come link to this on my blog hop if you get a chance :)

Any chance you might be selling this adorable, customized artwork? I don't think I have the patience to complete the project.